At Prospect Hill Junior School, we believe that every child should have the opportunity to sing, play instruments, compose music and perform, both solo and in groups. By inspiring children to take these skills further, they can develop their talent, knowledge, understanding and confidence in music. Providing opportunities for the children to experience music from different eras, in different settings and from different cultures, creates a global awareness of different music styles. Our aim is to ensure that all children have access to quality music education.
- To make music fun, accessible and interesting so that it becomes, or remains a hobby or pleasure, or develops to become a profession in adult life.
- For children to develop pride and confidence in their own musical ability and learn to work together.
- To provide opportunities for children to use different media when creating their own compositions.
- To provide an opportunity for the children to play a musical instrument.
- For children to appreciate music as a means of worship.
- To encourage children to develop their own musical tastes and to enable the children to learn about the music of different cultures, composers and about music through history.
Our Music curriculum
In every year group, our pupils develop skills in:
Music units of work are embedded into cross-curricular topics
eg. composing underwater music in Year 4 within the Oceans topic.